Hydro Ottawa's delivery charge represents only a relatively small portion of what you pay. Hydro Ottawa collects your bill payments, but only keeps about 20 percent. The other 80 percent is passed on by Hydro Ottawa, without mark-up, to the other companies responsible for generating electricity, transmitting it, and to regulators and the provincial government.
When you pay your Hydro Ottawa bill, you're paying for:
The 20 percent of your bill that is received by Hydro Ottawa pays for the distribution services we provide to our 305,000 residential and commercial customers. This includes the costs to build and maintain the transmission and distribution lines, towers and poles and operate provincial and local electricity systems.
Hydro Ottawa passes the transmission and low voltage services charge through to you, without a mark-up, on behalf of Hydro One. A portion of these charges are fixed and do not change from month to month. The rest are variable and increase or decrease depending on the amount of electricity that you use.
For in-depth information please view our Residential Rates Brochure.
|Time of Use Pricing (Summer)|
|Consumption up to 600 kWh per month||$0.0780/kWh|
|Consumption above the 600 kWh per month threshold||$0.0910/kWh|
|Hydro Ottawa Delivery||$0.0206/kWh|
|Rate Rider for Disposition of Global Adjustment Sub-Account||$0.0011/kWh**|
|Hydro Ottawa Fixed Charge||$9.42/month|
|Smart Meter Entity Charge||$0.79/month|
|Low Voltage Services Charge||$0.00006/kWh|
|Debt Retirement Charge||$0.00694/kWh****|
* The Ontario Energy Board (OEB) sets the RPP rates. RPP prices are reviewed and adjusted twice a year in the spring (May 1) and in the fall (Nov. 1). For RPP Tiered rates, the price threshold – the amount of electricity that is charged at the lower price – changes twice a year for residential consumers. The threshold is 1,000 kWh per month during a winter season (November 1 to April 30) and 600 kWh during a summer season (May 1 to October 31).
** For non RPP customers only, to dispose of the Global Adjustment sub-account balance.
*** For Standard Supply Service customers (not purchasing the electricity commodity from an electricity retailer), a monthly administration fee of $0.25 is added to the regulatory charge to recover a portion of the cost of systems required for the market.
**** For customers of the former Casselman Hydro, this rate is $0.007/kWh as Casselman Hydro did not own any generating plants.